We had inherited a weak healthcare system with an acute shortage of physical infrastructure, machinery and equipments, technical manpower and other facilities. It was therefore an extremely difficult task to remedy the situation, but with active support and cooperation of all concerned, we have been able to achieve significant progress within a reasonably short span of time. Our intention is to proceed in a well-planned and graduated manner to address the difficulties, overcome the hindrances in the Health Sector and ensure availability of quality health care services across the length and breadth of the State.
New Multi-speciality Hospitals at districts
During the tenure of our Government, 34multi-speciality hospitals are being opened in the districts:
• Chhatna,Onda,Barjora and Bishnipur in Bankura district
• Huthmura and Raghunathpur in Purulia district
• Bolpur,Suri and Rampurhat in Birbhum district
• Salboni,Debra,Ghatal,Jhargram,Nayagram2 and Gopiballavpur in Paschim Medinipur district
• Nandigram,Egra and Panskura in Purba Medinipur district
• Kakdwip,Metiabruz,Baruipur,Diamond Harbour and MR Bangur Hospital in South 24 Parganas district
• Sagardighi, Jangipur and Domkal in Murshidabad district
• Chanchal in Malda district
• Gangarampur and Balurghat in Dakshin Dinajpur district
• Islampur and Raigunj in Uttar Dinajpur district
• Falakata,Jalpaiguri and Mal(Dooars) in Jalpaiguri district
Of these, work for 13 hospitals has already been started, and work orders for 21 others have been issued.
Another 6 Multi Specialty-Super Specialty hospital will be set up in 6 non BRGF District Ho namely- Asansol, Kalna, Basirhat, Bangaon, Arambag & Sreerampur.
Supply of free medicines and unveiling of healthcare facilities
During the ongoing tenure of this Government, free medicines are being supplied in all privacy and rural healthcare centres. Budget-provision on this head is also being doubled. Cutting across economic background, treatment, pathological examinations medicines, diet and arranging for easy transportation to hospitals have been made available free of cost to all pregnant mothers and children upto one year of age in the state.
Fair price medicine shops- A model for the entire country
Across the state, 82 fair price medicine shops have been opened in PPP model. Through these shops, discount on medicine from 48% to 72% is available. Till February 2014, as many as 52 Lakh people have been benefited through this. Medicines amounting to 213 crore have been sold in this time period, discounting -130 crore to the purchases. Besides, 47 fair price diagnostic centres are also being opened in PPP model.
Fair Price Diagnostic Center
In the same manner, Fair Price Diagnostic Centres are being set up throughout the state by government. Such Diagnostic Centers are already functional in 7 government hospitals and are being set up at 40 other government hospitals. These Diagnostic Centers will provide facilities like dialysis, CITI scan, MRI etc. At a much lower cost.
Number of beds at Government Hospitals
During the tenure of this Government, more than 12,000 beds have been increased in Government hospitals.
Augmentation of seats for MBBS and Dental
During the tenure of this Government, the number of seats have been enhanced for MBBS and Dental from 1,305 to 2,750 clocking an increase of 1,445.
Expansion of Sick New Born Care Unit (SNCU) and setting up of New Sick New Borne stabilization unit (SNSU)
Number of SNCU has been enhanced to 41 from 6 and 17 will also be introduced. 238 new SNSU has been set up during the tenure of new Government and 69 will also be introduced later.
Critical Care Unit will be available in districts now
37 critical care units are being started during the tenure of our Government, of which 7 have already been opened.
Setting up of new Health District
7 new Health Districts have been established at Nandigram, Diamond Harbour, Basirhat, Jhargram, Asansol, Bishnipur and Rampurhat.
Establishment of new Medical College
Five Medical Colleges are being set up at Cooch Behar, Rampurhat, Purulia, Raiganj and South 24 Parganas. Also, three Medical Colleges, J D Hospital (Cooch Behar), Bhangar (South 24 Parganas) and Dhubulia (Nadia) are being set up in private-public model.
Emphasis in appointing doctors & health workers
10,000 new doctors & health workers have been appointed during the tenure of this Government Health Recruitment Board has been set up for the first filling up of the vacancies.
Sisusathi Prakalpo - Free of cost cardiac treatment facility for children
Free of cost surgery for children affected by congenial heart disease have been introduced in 3 nos. private hospitals including SSKM under the Sisusathi Prakalpo.
Special emphasis on pediatric treatment
31 nos. Nutrition rehabilitation centres have been set up under Government-run health care system for the first time ever for children, affected by mal-nutrition. Human milk bank namely “Madhur Sneha” has been opened in SSKM hospital for the first time ever in eastern India.
Remarkable progress in respect of a few health indexes
There has been 20% decrease in mortality rate of mother during child-birth and rise of institutional delivery has become 79%
First chord Blood Bank
A chord Blood Bank has been established in Kolkata, the first of its kind in the eastern region. A special type of cell, called Stem Cell, will be collected from Chord Blood and be preserved after delivery at the school of Tropical Medicine, set up at the cost of rs-200 crore/-. Later, this Stem Cell will come handy in treating different complicated diseases such as diabetes, kidney and liver dysfunction, paralysis and cancer.
Introduction of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana in more hospitals
'Rastriya Swasthya Bima Yojona' programme was launched at 1 govt. hospital in the year 2011-12 and in 13 govt. hospitals in the year 2012-13 in collaboration with the Labour department. At present 544 private and 62 govt. hospitals are empanelled in the list from where people get benefit of this scheme.
Health-care services are being extended to remote areas
36 nos. mobile health-care units have been introduced for extending health care facilities in the remote corners of Jangalmahal, Sunderban and tea-gardens.
Use of Technology
(a) One web based 'Store Management Information System' software was developed and installed in procurement of drugs and equipments and robust inventory management at all Medical Colleges and District Reserve stores.
(b) E-Procurement has also been introduced for high-value contracts (yr 2012-13).
(c) The 'Biometric attendance' has been introduced at Swasthya Bhaban (yr 2011-12), and at all 9 Medical Colleges & 5 District Hospitals (yr 2012-13). Rest of DHs will be covered in yr 2013-14.
(d) E-counseling techniques were adopted for admission in medical colleges.
New initiative in Medical Education
For the first time, one new course named Fellowship in Family Medicine under WBUHS in collaboration with Royal College of General Practitioners, UK has been started. DNB Courses has been started in 6 district hospitals in medicine, surgery, gynecology, pediatric, anesthesiology departments.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF AYUSH UNDER H & FW DEPTT.
• Creation of 120 AYUSH Dispensaries throughout the State with subsequent creation of 120 AYUSH Doctors, 120 AYUSH Pharmacists/Compounders & 120 GDAs.
• Enhancement of Honorarium of part time Homoeopathic/Ayurvedic Medical Officers and part-time Compounder-cum-Dresser of the Gram Panchayet Homoeopathic & Ayurvedic Dispensaries from Rs. 11,000/ to Rs. 16,000/- & from Rs. 5,500/- to Rs. 8000/- respectively.
• Necessary action towards creation as well as filling up of vacant posts at different Institutes under AYUSH, have been initiated for smooth functioning of the same which will be filled up through Health Recruitment Board (HRB), shortly.
• Amendment Recruitment Rules for Homoeopathy and Ayurvedic is on the verge of completion.
• Setting up of a Central Research Institute on Yoga & Naturopathy (CRIYN), is under process in Howrah District.
• Seting up of a Degree College on Yoga & Naturopathy by Govt. of West Bengal is also in process in Howrah District.
• Renovation work at Calcutta Homoeopathic Medical Colleges & Hospital (CHMC & H) and D.N. Dey Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital have been completed.
• Filling up at the vacant contractual posts of HMO, Pharmacists, ANM is in process.
• Renovation of main building of Viswanath Ayurved Mahavidyalaya (VAM) was completed during 2012.
• Certificate Course in Ayurvedic Pharmacy at VAM has been completed into Diploma Course and the registration of the passed out Pharmacists for VAM has been under Paschim Banga Ayurved Parishad.
• Renovation of Sukanta Chatrabas at J. B. Roy Auirvedic Medical College & Hospital is completed to be completed by October – 2014.
• Ayurvedic Medical Officers with Pharmacists, ANM and GNM have been recruited on contractual basis for the speciality clinics.
• Ongoing construction of Herbal Garden by IPGAE & R at ECO Tourism Park of WBHIDCO.
• The State Medicinal Plant Board (SMPB) under State Govt. is working in full swing with both the Central & the State Govt. assistance, for development of herbal plants. The State Govt. released an amount of Rs. 25 lakhs in favour of SMPB for such development projects.
• Start of production of liquid medicine at Kalyani.
• Steps are on towards taking over of Calcutta Unani College & Hospital.
Statement of Budget Provision & Expenditure for the following years for AYUSH Institutions & Programmes :
2011-12 ..........Rs.24.00 Crores................Rs.19,26,073/-............. 80.25
2012-13...........Rs.34.75 Crores................Rs.30.83 Crores............ 88.71
2013-14...........Rs.37.93 Crores................Rs.35.53 Crores............ 93.67
2014-15...........Rs.30.63 Crores................Rs.17.63 Crores............ 58.00 (approx) (have been released this year so far.)